Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Still here



Hello!!
Sorry its been a while since Ive updated this blog. The last few weeks Ive been occupied with little sickness, just trying to keep consistent with my last trip to Peru in which I think I was a condidate for a frequent customer card at the regional hospital. Less serious this time, food poinsoning and a few colds. In terms of whats been up besides that, I will start back last weekend. A group from UPAGU, one of the local universities was doing a social project, so we took the kids to the next town over, BaƱos del Inca, at 830am and we played games with them and at the end the gave the kids a snack, it was nice to get out of Cajamarca for a brief change of scenery. The most exciting part of that trip was one of m favorite kids, Elmer, a kid who recently turned 8 and who is really shy in my class at Incawasi, finally started to open up to me, and since then in classes he talks to me and you can tell he likes and trusts me. I work with him everyday on his reading, and its amazing the progress he has made in a month, we were doing letters before, how they sound, and now we are reading stories.
Last friday I celebrated my returning health by going out to a party at another NGO until 5am up on their roof. That was quite fun but later involved me starting to get sick again. We painted and did a little makeover of the downstairs rooms in Incawasi, and it looks much much better, hopefully I will be able to put up pictures. Pictures are few and far between by the way, because it takes about 10 minutes to load 1 picture...The posters we bought from a store down the street of educational like things really add to the look, and are only 1.50 soles each, or 50 cents.
Inspiration struck and we have a new art project for next friday morning, we are going to buy wax and molds and make candles, and the friday after that, we are going to buy little pumpkins and paint them for halloween, after that I will be in Spain!!
Other than that...last night we went out to a funky little bar and I played a hand drum while some friends Oso and Walo played guitar and sung. I felt like a Peter imposter playing them drums, oh well!! It was quite fun. Today, rain rain and more rain...It feels like home

1 comment: