Saturday, October 6, 2012

Hot dayzz

I wish that I could put up photos to give a better idea of where I am staying but I forgot my camera cord. At some point I will go on a an adventure looking for the appropriate cord at some store around here but it will not be today. Last night I had a copious amount of alcohol, which means that today I have little to no motivation to get much done. It is about 80 degrees and quite humid and it feels quite natural to move about at a sluggish pace.

The last few days have been great, I've met a number of new people and tried a number of new foods and visited a number of new places. I had my first class on Thursday, a math class with a teacher named Gonzalo from Jerez, the city our orientation was in on Wednesday. All of the classes I am in are part of the bilingual program at the school, so the students are taught different subjects, like math, physics, chemistry and biology in English. As I walked into Gonzalo's class I was greeted by a LOT of noise, the class was 14 years olds that were pretty rowdy. Apparently they aren't usually as loud and chatty as they were that day, having a foreigner in the class was pretty exciting. They all came up to me and asked my name and were totally flummoxed by 'Jordan', not a known name here, especially for a girl. Next I was asked if I like heavy metal by a very excited girl with very good english. I said I don't usually listen to it, but what were her favorite bands. She said Slip Knot.... The rest of the hour they asked questions about me, my hobbies, if I knew famous people, where NY, LA, Miami, North Carolina, Michigan and Nevada are. They asked why Nevada is called Nevada if it is a desert, why I would want to come to Spain when there are so many handsome strong blond blue eyed men in the US...

After class Gonzalo and I had coffee and chatted for an hour, his English was incredibly good. He invited me to lunch with other teachers who all go out to lunch on Thursdays. So at 3 we went and got a drink and a tapa, and then moved on to lunch. (I was confused because I thought tapas was lunch, and they laughed). We walked to a Seafood place and ordered a bunch of different things: clams in garlic sauce, fried dogfish in vinegar, fried something that was similar to shrimp, and 'secreto Iberico', a type of ham. Plus a mixed salad plus cake. Then we went to coffee, and at 730 we parted, agreeing to meet up with the other teachers at 9, for drinks and tapas. I met more teachers, and brought James, Hilaire and Jean Luc, other auxiliares.

Last night I went for tapas with my couch surfing hosts, Gina and Marjo, and friends from their work and got quite drunk drinking cheap steins full of beer. That plus the beer I had with the auxiliares after, plus the Irish bar, plus dancing, equals didn't end up back at the apartment until 4 in the morning. Tomorrow I am going to go hiking with Gina and Marjo and their hungarian friend Ana. It is apparently only about 20 minutes away in car, and you hike up to a sulphur spring that you can swim in. Yay! I am excited so explore Cadiz' parks a bit. I will work on the picture problem soon, I promise. Hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment