It is Thursday, which means for me it is Friday! They set up our schedules so we only work M-Th, and in this weeks schedule I don't work until noon today, and I am done at 3. My life is so hard. I am at a cafe right now and I just watched Djokovic beat Lopez, which makes me think of my dad because I am watching tennis on tv. Hi dad!
I have started giving private English lessons as well, which is a very new experience for me. As with starting any new job I feel awkward and inexperienced, but I'm sure it will get easier, in fact even with the second lesson I felt more comfortable, although I chewed my nails to pieces before hand. I am giving them to a 24 year old named Carolina and her boyfriend Elias. Carolina wants to be a bilingual teacher, and Elias is an electrical engineer who wants to improve his english for job interviews. A mom at the school talked to me yesterday about coming to 'work' for her, playing with her one year old, speaking in English. I think that sounds perfect, toddlers and playing is a no brainer, it is just a question of how much I should charge... My classes at the school are going better as well, at least I am starting to feel a bit more useful, as I am communicating more with/meeting the teachers I am working with. Interesting tidbit-here the teachers change rooms, not the students. So teachers carry all of their things around from room to room instead of the kids. Strange.
Editing my post from earlier, because I am back at a cafe to use internet! my address, for all of you would be penpals:
Avenida del Ejercito Bloque 6, 2B La Linea de la Concepcion 11300, Cadiz Espana
So I will be checking to mailbox :) I shall tell you now (this makes me think of my english lessons I've been giving to Elias and Carolina, 'Shall is another, less common way to talk about the future, as a substitute to will'.) about my roommates. Hilaire is from NY, went to NYU to study Spanish, she is funny and upfront and fun. James is from England and we enjoy long arguments about proper pronunciations of English words. Us three, combined with the rest of the auxiliares in La Linea make quite the fun group. Jean Luc is a 20 year old also from England, Tatiana and Esteban from SoCal, Millie and Elle from the Georgia and Tennessee respectively. Tonight we are going to make merry, and also hit up the grocery store because tomorrow is a bank holiday and all the grocery stores will be closed. Period. No exceptions. Same deal with earlier today I wanted to make some photocopies before my private lesson a 5, and I wandered the city for 15 minutes looking for anywhere that was open with a copy machine, but they all close between 3 and 5 for siesta, that is actually for real.
Speaking of which I have managed to convert myself to the Spanish eating schedule as well... which is have a coffee when you wake up and maybe a small snack, eat some toast or something at 11:30, have lunch when school gets out at 3, and have dinner at 8 to 9 to 10. That is all, ta ta for now

No comments:
Post a Comment