Tuesday, October 2, 2012

School and Explorations

Yesterday was my first day of school, sort of. I went in and chatted with the coordinator of the bilingual program, Maria Jose Parado while she multitasked, and she explained that I would be working on a rotating schedule, in 5 different subjects, being in each classroom once every 15 days. We will see if I ever remember a students name! I met about 10 different staff members, including the teachers in the bilingual program with whom I will be working, all friendly, and then I was done for the day. Now I must go back to sunday night. When I got home from my hike on the rock, I was met with three ladies deep into their wine and polinka (sp?), a Hungairan alcohol. Marjo and Gina, my hosts, and their Scottish friend Jackie. I promptly joined them and we stayed up for several hours chatting and taking care of their overly stocked wine rack. Jackie works at The Three Owls, a bar in Irish Town in Gibraltar and told me to stop by if I was free the next day. Seeing as I only was at school for an hour, I ended up having a lot of free time yesterday. I went and met Hilaire and James, two auxiliares with whom I might live and chatted for a while at their apartment. Then I walked over to Gibraltar. I was stopped however, on the way. By a plane. The Gibraltar airport crosses the road on the way there, so the plane took off right in front of me...all in a day I suppose. The plane took off and I continued on my way. The bar was very british looking, with cricket on tv. I proceeded to have a number of beers before I walked home at 530 to catch a bus back to Santa Margarita where I am staying.





(Windsor and Newton, the company my Grandad worked for!)

I started off today running to catch my bus (I remember the wrong time it came). Because I cought it though, I had an hour to sit at a cafe and drink a coffee and read Wicked before going to school.




The director, Angel, took care of my trasportation issue for me. He is quite the character. Maria Jose I can understand quite well. Angel, however, has an extremely thick Andalucian accent and I have to ask him to repeat himself quite often. I am getting compliments left and right though on my Spanish, which is good for the ego when I am having such trouble understanding this accent. I can only compare it to an English learner who can understand Seattlites perfecty, but then goes to some random tiny Irish town... Now I am going to meet up with the auxiliar from NY to get some lunch. Hopefully the orientation tomorrow is informative... Here is a picture of my school! school!

No comments:

Post a Comment